eating line is dedicated to the performance of silicon paints with high temperature resistance.
For all coatings of this line, the following general information.
How to apply
- They are applied by spraying and cannot be brushed on, unless coating a tiny area. This is because it’s essential to produce a really thin, even film over the whole surface to be coated.
- Low-pressure airmix equipment is required for spraying. An electrostatic unit is ideal. When applied on an industrial line, a robotic electrostatic unit is ideal.
- The spray nozzle must measure 1.2-1.5 mm in diameter for smooth-textured coatings, and 1.7 mm for rough textures.
- The air supply pressure should be approx. 3.5 bar; the equipment’s air pressure will be adjusted by the operator, ensuring that the coating is delivered at a low flow rate and is atomized perfectly.
- The metal to be coated must be thoroughly clean; abrasive blasting is preferable, possibly using a very fine grit.
- Very shiny metals will need to be treated first by abrasive blasting or vigorous wire brushing.
- All baked coating versions must be held at 180–190°C for at least 45 minutes, although 1 hour is preferable.
Where to apply
- Sokema Heating coatings are designed to be applied to metal (steel, aluminium, cast iron) subjected to high working temperatures, which may range from 200°C to as high as 750°C, in the following sectors of industry: Aerospace, Car, Concrete, Rail, Engineering, Motorcycle, Marine, Oil, Heating, and Iron and Steel industries.
- Sokema Heating coatings have proved valuable in major scientific and university research projects, for applications in the fields of electromagnetics, seismology and volcanology.
Useful to know
- Sokema Heating coatings are hi-tech organically modified silicone coatings of various kinds.
- They are all high-solids, high-performance coatings.
- They boast powerful adhesion directly to abrasive blasted or perfectly clean metal, except for stainless steel and other very shiny and reflective metals, which require abrasive blasting first.
- Heat resistance performance is inversely proportional to the thickness of the film applied: at 10 microns, heat resistance values are extremely high, while they drop as thickness increases.
- As with any silicone coating, it’s essential to keep the thickness even and not exceed 30 microns.
- Sokema Heating coatings are free from heavy metals and toxic substances..
- Solvent-based versions are flammable and must be stored and handled with care according to prescribed safety practices.
- Water-based versions are entirely non-toxic and non-flammable, while fume and vapour emissions are virtually nil. Their water content means they must be kept in a place where the temperature never drops below 15°C. Application should also be carried out in heated rooms, where possible.
- Take care not to spill any of the coatings onto the ground or subsurface soil to avoid polluting groundwater.
- Comply with all safety rules while working with the products.
- Waste must be classified before it’s disposed of.
- When transporting products by air–sea–land, comply with the relevant specific regulations.